Friday, October 26, 2007

Week 5 Thing 11: Making My Own Thing

Setting up an account with Library Thing was ridiculously easy. I'm impressed with how user-friendly and intuitive they've made the site. It's also quite simple to find useful recommendations, once some books have been added.

I did have one quibble with the setup, however. Choosing only from particular editions makes it trickier for someone who merely wants to add a book by title and author, as I did. I can't remember all the specific editions, and it took much too much time to search. Of course, I'm adding books from memory. Also, it would be a truly daunting task to add all the books I own, so I'm adding only those I've most enjoyed, and only a few at a time. It's hard for me to even include examples from all the genres I like to read within the 200 book limit for free accounts.

The widget for my blog was also easy to add, taking less time than browsing suggestions! It seems fun to have a small sampling of my favorite books listed on my blog, and I think I'd like to do something similar with music and movies or television. Perhaps ebooks and audio books as well.

My Library Thing catalogue, such as it is so far, can be found here. I have great hopes that the site will make it easier to find things to read with much less margin for error than browsing covers. Who knows, it may turn out to be a social boon as well. Given enough time, I think I would really enjoy reviewing and engaging in discussion boards.

No comments: