Friday, January 11, 2008

Week 9 Thing 22: Reading with My Ears

Downloadable audiobooks are wonderful things, although it would be nice if I could listen to the ones from NetLibrary on my iPod. I’ve established an account with NetLibrary, and am currently downloading Great Expectations to my computer for listening pleasure. As soon as we receive the compatible MP3 players for completing the program, I will be listening frequently.

NetLibrary seems pretty easy to use; I wonder if it is popular with our patrons? I expect many of us will prefer to have the physical object, be it player, CD, or jump drive, although downloading is increasingly popular. Personally, the availability of various methods to listen to audiobooks delights me. I hope with changes we increase our options, rather than reducing them.

The selection seems a bit sparse, but I have already found several titles I’d like to listen to in the next few months. It helps that my reading habits are exceedingly eclectic. I would assume, though, that the number of available titles is constantly increasing. Children’s titles, especially, seem lacking, except for one particular author. Brian Jacques must be making a mint!

I certainly prefer the sound quality of the downloadable books to that of the playaways. The audio is clear and easily understood if one chooses the larger download, while playaways often have such poor sound quality that I can barely listen to them. Download speed and computer access will be key to a patron’s choices, plainly.

Overall I have to say I am thrilled at this addition to our collection. Here’s hoping to a future where fast, easy downloads are possible for all of our patrons. And to ourselves, as well.

No comments: