Friday, January 11, 2008

Week 9 Thing 20: I See Youtube

I’ve been an enthusiastic viewer of Youtube videos for quite a while now. Exploring the site again with new eyes is fun, all the same. It’s gotten a lot bigger than it was when I first discovered it! The number of users has definitely exploded in a short time, and I think that is likely to continue. Also, I’ve never actually embedded a video from the site into one of my posts, which makes for an interesting learning experience.

It wasn't difficult to find out how to embed; I just looked in their help menu for the FAQ section. Obviously embedding is hugely popular, so they make it simple. You have to copy the embedding code they place on the page with the video, in the "About this Video" section, and under the helpful header "Embed". *g*

When I tried to think of what I might like or dislike about the site, it made me laugh. There are so many different kinds of videos that anyone could find something about which to complain. But the diversity, the hokiness even, is part of its charm for me. I love the folk aspect, and if the internet is for pictures of people’s cats, then Youtube is for videos of people’s pets. I could watch the puppies and kittens all day, I really could.
See how cute they are?





But aside from cute animals, the possibilities of a site like Youtube are really endless. The library could potentially use videos to show users how to operate our computers, do searches, find items; even when the patrons are in their own homes. Staff can learn from tutorials, presentations of programs might enrich public understanding and increase attendance, and potentially we might even be able to communicate internally via videos.

No comments: