Monday, December 3, 2007

Week 8 Thing 18: Zoho and Friends

Thing #18 requires us to sign up with Zoho Writer and make a few test documents. I made a grocery list, a list of phone numbers, and wrote a few paragraphs of a short story idea. Since I don't plan on sharing my grocery list with the world (I know: it's a great loss), I'm going to use Zoho to post to my blog as my method of demonstrating that I've been playing there. 
I will insert a picture too. See? Isn't he cute?

He is a dwarf hamster and this photo was taken from Flickr. It was uploaded on Dec 2, 2007 by romap. I have been told I am not to bring one of these home, as it will upset the cat. But I am deeply tempted. I wonder if one day, young people's sections within a library will have virtual tanks, with animated images of small animals like this one. It could happen.

Zoho seems to offer a lot of possibilities, and I think it's going to take me a bit of time to decide whether it is more helpful or distracting. Combination with a wiki may make my life more convenient, or merely messy. Only long-term play-testing will show. I think I'm going to try using Zoho as a creation tool for my wiki's pages, and if this works well enough, possibly a method of posting to my blog. It's use as a work tool for me seems limited, since I'm getting what I need from Microsoft at the moment. Obviously that may change, if I become involved in a collaborative project.

No comments: