Friday, November 9, 2007

Week 6 Thing 14: Joining the Technorati

Technorati is an intriguing site. I haven’t used it before starting this program, and it took me a little while to feel at ease there, but it was definitely worth the effort. Searching blog entries, tags, and directories is something I’ve done before in bits and pieces, but it was convenient to do it all from Technorati’s advanced search page. I also liked being able to specify authority level.

The blog directory search for “Library 2.0” turned up some useful blogs about the subject, the posts search gave me some great entries to read, and the tag search was more specific to the exact subject. I’ve gone ahead and made sure my blog is public and enabled blog listings so that it will ping Technorati with my tags. Hopefully this means I’m adding to the site in a small way.

I feel that Technorati will be most useful as a way to familiarize myself with a subject, or when I have the time and the inclination to pursue a study of a popular topic, rather than as a quick reference tool or something I do on a daily basis. It’s a fantastic method of exploration, and enables one to quickly get a fairly broad grasp of something, but it isn’t a precision tool. The separate sections for images and vids please me, though, and I think they will be worth spending time to explore.

I loved following the popular items page, because it was full of topics I’m personally intrigued by. In fact, I discovered that my favorite tech feed (Gizmodo) is still apparently everyone’s favorite! I also picked up some new, related feeds that look very useful for web development and tweaking.

One of the searches I made was on the topic of a favorite musical group, The Decemberists. In the interests of maintaining my blogger-fu, here is a picture Technorati found for me of the band in concert. It was originally posted on Flickr by lucylarou.

No comments: